Here’s the scoop about GMO’s. GMO stands for genetically engineered organism. Are they safe? The verdict is still out. In rat studies, massive tumors were exhibited at age 13 months old in rats that were fed a small portion of their diet (11% being Genetically modified). In humans this study equates to tumors showing up in our bodies at age 43 if only 11% of our diet is genetically engineered. 95% of corn, canola, soybean, cottonseed, and sugar beet grown in the US is GMO. If you see any product with any of these foods you can assume it is GMO unless it says organic or non-GMO. Currently GMO products do not need to be labeled. GMO are banned in 27 countries excluding the USA.
This is how it works. Genetically engineered seed (GE seed) is made to be Roundup ready or glyphosate (the main chemical in Roundup weed killer) resistant. So when the seed is sowed and a baby plant starts to grow, farmers spray round up to kill the weeds near the crop. Now they have room to plant more crop? All the weeds die but the genetically engineered crop which is resistant to weed killer grows and the glyphosate gets into the cell matrix. Problem? Yes! 1)The chemical spray cannot be washed off the crop and glyphosate is classified as a ‘probable carcinogen’ by the World Health Organization. 2) Milkweed is dying off and now the monarch butterfly population is suffering because it is their favorite food. 3) As mentioned before, probably genicatically engineer food is not safe for human consumption.
How to eat non-GMO
1) Avoid corn, soy, cottonseed, canola, and sugar beet
2) Look for products that say non-GMO
3) Buy organic
4) Avoid PLU codes ( product look up codes that start with the number 8). For example bananas are 4011, organic bananas are 94011, and GM bananas are 84011.
5) Shop at grocery stores that promise that they do not sell GMO. Trader Joe’s is one of them.
6) Avoid farm raised fish
7) Avoid eating out at restaurants that don’t promise non-GMO and avoid processed foods.
8) Eat organic poultry and eggs only.
9) Buy grass fed beef, because it is not grain fed.